The School Active Transportation Program encourages elementary-school children to walk and wheel to school on a regular basis. There are plenty of benefits for children such as:
- improved concentration at school
- a chance to learn and practice safety skills
- growth in independence and confidence
- time to connect with a caring adult or friend
- opportunities to make friends with children in their neighbourhood
- spending more time outdoors
- learning about the neighbourhood in which they live
- enjoying safer school zones with less traffic congestion
- a chance to care for our planet by reducing pollution and GHGs
- building a can-do attitude for life
The School Active Transportation Program assists Ottawa schools with educational workshops on pedestrian and bike safety with fun events such as Bike to School Week or International Walk to School Day. School committees work to identify challenges in the neighborhood and implement solutions. With the help of School Travel Planning facilitators, they set targets, track progress, engage partners, and celebrate successes as students get active and healthy.
Since 2010, more than 30 schools have participated in the program. EnviroCentre is proud to deliver School Active Transportation on behalf of Ottawa Student Travel Authority (OSTA) and the City of Ottawa with support from Green Communities Canada.