EnviroCentre’s inaugural Bicycle Ball is coming up fast. But how do you dress for it? Here are a few tips to help you get ready!
We’re working hard to make the Bicycle Ball a truly low-carbon event, so we’re hoping everyone will jump on board with us and come dressed in low-carbon fancy. So … what does that even mean?!
At the simplest level, it means thinking about the environmental impact of the clothes you buy and wear. Everything we purchase has a carbon footprint and a lifecycle.
Tip 1: Recycle or upcycle something you already own.
There’s no need to go out and buy new clothes – really! Dig through your wardrobe, you’re bound to find a long-forgotten or little worn item. Give it some love, it has probably just been waiting for the perfect opportunity to jump back onto the dance floor.
Did you know? The apparel and footwear industries account for a combined estimate of 8% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions.
Tip 2: Borrow from friends and family
If there is nothing of yours that you really love, why not ask those you love to help you out? Besties and rellies might surprise you, and like they teach the kids at school: sharing is caring!
Did you know? Worldwide, clothing utilization (how often we put something on) has decreased by 36 percent compared to 15 years ago.
Tip 3: Shop at your local thrift store
Buying clothes second hand is a great way to ensure your wardrobe is low-carbon, and luckily for us, Ottawa has a vibrant thrift store scene. By supporting local thrift stores you are also supporting the community, and you’ll probably end up with a unique item that no one else you know will ever own.
Did you know? In North America, we send 9.5 million tonnes of clothing to the landfill every year!
Tip 4: Rent something for the night
Several local businesses offer rentals for evening wear. This is a great, low-cost option that is also good for the planet! We’ve partnered with Alex from Closet in the Sky, so if you rent your garment from her for the Bicycle Ball you’ll also be helping to support EnviroCentre (15% of rental proceeds will be donated to us!).
Rent from Closet in the Sky
- Browse www.closetinthesky.com to view their selection of dresses.
- Book an appointment to try on the dresses you like at their showroom in the Chateau Laurier by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org Don’t forget to mention “Bicycle Ball” in your email when you book!
- Reserve your chosen item through their website. They’ll be in touch to arrange pick up and drop off times after you reserve.
- Pick up your dress and rock it! Remember to have fun and take lots of pictures.
- After the 4 day rental period is up, return the dress to the showroom at the predetermined date and time. They’ll take care of the dry cleaning, and the cost is included in your rental fee.
Don’t forget your tickets!
Last but not least, don’t forget to buy your tickets for the ball! We can’t wait to see you there!