10 Easy Steps to Living Lighter
This is an interactive workshop to learn practical tips on reducing your environmental impact.
Learn about how to assess your current greenhouse gas impact and simple ways to reduce it. Ask questions and see our mini model home. Participants will receive a “ten easy steps” takeaway list with a small gift to get started. Children (with their families) are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Easy Steps to Live Lighter
- Know your impact
- Be aware of the choices you can make
- Drive less
- Buy less
- Shop local
- Eat less meat & off-season produce
- Renovate your home with purpose
- Use the energy you need
- Reduce, reuse, recycle
- Focus on changes that fit your lifestyle
Delivered by an experienced commuter cyclist, this workshop will provide participants with tips on biking to work, including what to wear, helpful hints and advice on choosing a route to your workplace. We will also discuss the many benefits of cycling.
Basic Bike Maintenance
Delivered by a professional bike mechanic, this workshop provides participants with a hands on demonstration of bike repair and maintenance techniques. Learn to change a flat, check your cables and keep your bike working efficiently. The goal of this workshop is to have participants leave confident and ready to ride.
Delivered by an expert in sustainable transportation options, this workshop will provide participants with information on how to start a carpooling program, discover how to meet daytime transportation needs and discuss other solutions to lower the reliance on single occupancy vehicles. This presentation will help you discover options and how to implement them at your workplace. Note: this presentation can be customized to address a specific workplace need.
Join us on a downtown ride where you’ll learn about Ottawa’s growing cycling infrastructure and some on road cycling skills. Led by an experienced cyclist, this on-bike workshop will help you improve your comfort cycling on road. The group will ride approximately 8 km with many stops for discussions and demonstrations. In this workshop you will learn about the following:
- Bike boxes – what are they and how to use them.
- Separated cycling facilities (one directional and bi-directional) – how they differ and safe cycling tips.
- The “Copenhagen Left” – a simple turning technique that reduces risks to cyclists making a left turn.
- General best practices for ensuring visibility while cycling on the road.
Extend your Cycling Season
This workshop will teach you what you need to know to feel comfortable biking year round.
In this workshop, you will learn:
- tips, tricks and tools to extend your cycling season and keep riding through the winter safely;
- route planning;
- what to wear and what not to wear;
- tips for choosing the right bike and;
- simple suggestions for winter bike maintenance.