What is car sharing?
Car sharing is a way to use a car without the expense or responsibility of owning one.
VRTUCAR is Ottawa’s car sharing organization, with cars in over twenty Ottawa neighbourhoods.
Why should I car share? What are the benefits?
For VRTUCAR members in Ottawa, car sharing has many benefits including:
- Easy access – Members have access to a network of newer, fuel-efficient vehicles 24-hours, 7 days a week
- Reduced carbon footprint – Members reduce their transportation carbon footprint into the environment by up to half
- Reduced cost – VRTUCAR pays for gas, insurance, snow tires, maintenance, while members only pay for the hours and kilometers they use, plus a modest monthly membership fee
- Increased health – People who car share, also tend to walk, cycle and use transit and are generally more active and healthier
- Increased range – VRTUCAR also has branch in Kingston and has roaming agreements with Communauto in Gatineau and Montreal, AutoShare in Toronto and Community Car Share in Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, and Hamilton – in case your trips are outside of Ottawa.
For the larger community, car sharing also means
- Fewer cars on our streets – studies have shown that each shared car removes 9 to 13 cars from our neighbourhoods
- Access to a safe, reliable car for those who may not want or be able to afford the cost of car ownership
- Encouragement of more pedestrian-friendly and child-friendly areas in which to live
- Motivating residents to walk, cycle and take transit, and decreasing dependence on fossil fuels helps to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases and keeps our air cleaner
I’m interested in car sharing! How can I get a VRTUCAR membership?
We are very proud to partner with VRTUCAR to offer VRTUCAR memberships!
To become a member, enter the promo code “envirocentre” on the VRTUCAR website and receive a one-time $25 account credit towards any VRTUCAR membership.